Colombia: 10 things you should know before visiting this country
Síguenos en Facebook
Colombia, a symbol of South America with extraordinary landscapes and people, famous for its Andean coffee and for it rejuvenated capital. Tourism is growing every day and travelers always have in mind visiting this country to explore the region. Therefore, if you have never visited Colombia, here we give you 10 key facts.
1. Have a view of Bogota from Monserrate: All major cities have a perfect observation point, and this is the point from where you will have the best view of the capital of Colombia, Bogota.
2. Stereotypes about the drug culture are false and offensives: Forget all prejudices before traveling to Colombia. Although in Medellin people remember they were born on a battlefield, Colombia is no longer a haven for mobsters.
3. Security has dramatically improved: The new image and security in the country caused a boom in tourism.
4. Real Colombians drink black coffe (café tinto): The country itself is a synonymous of coffee. Inevitably they’ll tell you that an authentic Colombian takes the black coffee or café tinto, as they call it.
5. Places to dance salsa (salsotecas) are better when the environment is hot and sweaty: Colombia without salsa is not Colombia.
6. Medellin is the most innovative city in the world.
7. Villages are the preferred destinations for the weekend, offering a colonial past and an antiquated charm that is not found in cities.
8. Liquor (aguardiente) is essential: If you want a strong drink, a six dollars bottle of liquor is the Colombian way to get it.
9. The climate varies enormously, so take your precautions.
10. Cali is the City of Salsa: Many people say that Cali is the best place in the world where people dance salsa better.